LETTER OF ENCOURAGEMENT FOR SEPTEMBER 2021
“Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.” Hebrews 11:1
What does faith look like for you? How would you define your faith?
I have had these questions in my heart as I contemplated the articles needed for our September and October prayer calendar. It has taken me several weeks to settle how to write my thoughts down regarding violence against women and the atrocities surrounding human sex trafficking.
I have been working with anti-trafficking organizations for over a decade, caring for survivors to help bring hope and healing in Jesus. As I continue to read about and see the abuses that are happening to women around the world, the reality is just appalling to me. As I read the reports, I have days when I struggle to write about having faith that we can build a better world in which women are not abused and objectified for their bodies.
It’s still so painful to read these statistics from the UN Women organization and retain hope and faith that things are improving:
- Adult women account for nearly half (49%) of all human-trafficking victims detected globally.
- Fewer than 40% of women who experience violence seek help of any sort.
- Every day, an average of 137 women are killed by a family member.
- Globally, 6% of women report they have been subjected to sexual violence from someone other than their husbands or partners.
- Calls to helplines have increased fivefold in some countries as rates of reported intimate partner violence increase because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
However, faith is a decision of the heart. It is making the decision to place our trust in the Lord. Proverbs 3:5-6 tells us, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.”
For more thoughts on this topic, please take some time to read my article “Exploring Hope Today” in this issue of the prayer calendar.
In Him our hearts rejoice.
Dr. Peggy Banks
Global Ministry Director
TWR Women of Hope